The UK government has defended the NHS’s cyber-security procedures, days after a number of trusts were taken offline by the WannaCry ransomware.
Security minister Ben Wallace said that the NHS had followed “pretty good procedures” in dealing with the attack.
The news came as health minister Jeremy Hunt confirmed that there had been no dreaded “second wave” of attacks following the initial assault last Friday.
Speaking to BBC Breakfast, Mr Wallace said that IT staff had worked around the clock over the weekend to patch security systems and restore files at NHS trusts across the country.
He highlighted that the government had invested £50 million in supporting NHS IT networks during its last strategic defense and security review, and insisted that individual trusts were well-equipped to ensure they could protect themselves against cyber-attack.
“We make sure the trusts are aware of their vulnerabilities and ask them to make sure they keep themselves up to date. What we don’t do in our NHS is micromanage it from the desk,” he said.
Read full news article on BetaNews